Thursday, May 4, 2017

VMI-Murray Manley

I have run around the VMI campus many times during my three years here. I have walked around the parade grounds and run up and down their stadium stairs and around the track, but I never stopped to notice the memorials that are sprinkled throughout the campus. With every new statue or memorial we visited on the tour, I realized how little I know about Lexington and how grateful I am for the opportunity to take this class and learn about it.

Sitting in the pew and gazing up at the enormous painting in the front while Col. Gibson explained the circumstances that lead to such an infamous battle for VMI alumni, I felt as though I could really picture in my mind the day on the battle field. I had never thought about the fact that VMI students, not graduates, might have to or have had to sacrifice themselves for their country at such a young age when their training still wasn't complete. The experience truly hit home when we discussed the story of the sculptor and Thomas Garland Jefferson, and the resulting Virginia Mourning her Dead statue.

I am shocked the Washington and Lee University does not have a similar historical orientation for first years. As a liberal arts university, W&L seeks to create well-rounded students, knowledgeable students and ultimately culturally literate citizens of the United States. However, I think in many ways, W&L is failing to fully educate its students by not offering a historical orientation for freshmen, similar to the one in place at VMI. I was so impressed by the VMI students' knowledge of the history surrounding their campus, and wish we could have had more time with Col. Gibson to see more of the memorials on campus. Lexington has so much to offer and we still have so much to learn.




No comments:

Post a Comment