Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Lee Chapel- Emily Roche

Upon entering the Lee Chapel museum, one will find a very large, rather imposing Robert E. Lee, front in center, right in the eyes view.  While I did not think much of his presence during my many visits to the Chapel during orientation week, revisiting has caused me to change my view on the general and what his role in the Chapel is.
After learning of Lee's family being buried underneath the Chapel, I gained a sort of respect for the man, and an even greater respect for the building.  The Chapel, in many ways, is holy because of Lee, as well as the history that goes along with him that commonly goes unnoticed.  Aside from my newfound respect for the Chapel and the richness of its history, I was surprised at the dismissal, or at least the beating around the bush of some questions regarding the nation's confederate past.  In particular, I found it very interesting that any trace of previous confederate flags and their placement had been completely removed.  While I understand the controversy of these flags within the community and the nation as a whole, I feel they are an essential part of history, and to try and cover them up is like trying to erase the past (which has not been successful in previous attempts).  The richness of Lee and Washington's history is, in my opinion, very interesting and very informative for the United States and what we do not want to be repeated.  I do not feel this should be glazed over or covered up.  Instead, I feel it should be emphasized more.  People can't argue with the past, because it is there and it is unchanging.  The public's constant attempt to change what cannot be changed has, in my opinion, caused such controversy to arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment