Monday, May 8, 2017

D.C. Response

Charley Warble

I really enjoyed our trip to D.C. Seeing these memorials in person, especially the memorials we have read about or heard presentations on, was a really special experience. The World War II Memorial was especially potent today, with veterans being honored and music and speakers adding the the aesthetic. Though we couldn't go in, I looked at the bass-relief panels that we could see, and I was surprised by how little they effected me. With such a grandiose memorial, you get a feel for how large and important the conflict was, which is important to the storyline. However, I didn't feel any real appreciation or direct honor tied to those who fought and died, more just to the US overall.

I had never been to the Martin Luther King memorial before, and quite frankly didn't know what memorial we were walking into as we went between the two rock walls. I was very confused to see the third, seemingly random rock, and found it strange enough that I actually took a photo of it. It took me a full walk past the quotes before I realized MLK was carved into the back of the rock. Though I understand some of the background one of our students gave us, I still didn't like the fact that MLK is not facing you unless you seek him out. I wish he had been more of a central focus from the main entrance. I also didn't love how hard and cold his face was, but whoever was talking (sorry, I couldn't see who it was!) gave the insight that his family liked his expression, so I suppose they captured him well. I did like how large he was, and the quotes were interesting to read. The water beyond MLK was so serene looking, and I liked the aesthetic the water and the garden added to a peace honoring memorial.

The Vietnam memorial was really special to see, because I took a US history class last semester that covered the war, and I also read the novel "A Rumor of War" by Philip Caputo which is a first hand account of the war. Knowing how gruesome and destructive this war was, and then walking through the scar like cut in the ground was really emotional and humbling.

I didn't witness anyone placing any totems at the wall, but I did see some flowers placed at a few different panels, and saw one older man scanning the panels while explaining to whomever he was accompanied by that he was looking for a specific name of someone he either knew or had a relation to. This was really touching to see as someone who did not live through those years.

I was also blown away by the Arlington Cemetery. It was astounding to see the amount of death resulting from the Civil War. The intense symmetry and exact placement was very pleasing to the eye, but I would imagine some families would be sad at the lack of individuality of the graves, despite the honor of being buried somewhere so famous and honorable.

I really enjoyed each of the stops we made, and I am very pleased that we had this experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment