Thursday, May 18, 2017

Personal Shrine -- William Zhou

Most of the memory I have about my grandfather are related to his orange trees. I used to spend most of my summer with my grandparents until I came to the US. They live in a very small town that’s about four hours away from Wuhan, where I am from. My grandpa started planting orange trees when my dad was a kid, and it turned into a hill full of orange trees. The hill was my favorite place to play as a kid. Also, my grandpa would always plant watermelon on the ground beneath the orange trees during summer.

I intend to use the slanted base to represent the hill. And I made the base with red cardboard because this is the color that best represents the mud in my hometown. The red mud we have is a result of the high temperature and humidity, and it is less fertile compare to other kind of mud. My grandpa raised my dad and his six siblings with his oranges upon this red mud.


The color of the oranges are exactly how I remembered them to be towards the end of August, before I leave my grandparents’ place. Even though some of them never turn yellow, and they are not the prettiest oranges, they are the best oranges that contain so much childhood memory and memory about grandpa. My grandma still ships us buckets of oranges every summer.  Even though grandpa is no longer with us, him and his oranges still impact our entire family in many ways.









No comments:

Post a Comment