Wednesday, May 17, 2017

A South Carolinian Shrine- Emily Roche



Memory is best evoked at locations that hold personal connections.  For example, a childhood home or the home of a relative or friend.  Memory is also followed by great emotion of a time that used to be, but is now in the past.  In my case, memory is evoked in a small town located within Spartanburg, South Carolina.  The small town, Gramling, was the home of my grammy who, at a rather young age, passed away from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, or commonly known as ALS.  However, despite the sadness that comes with her memory and the idea of returning to her home, she is still very close to my heart.  For this reason, I have memorialized her and everything that she stands for in a simple blue and white, palm-like shrine, as representation of her home state, and as a reminder of her fight with ALS.
Both the colors found on South Carolina’s flag and the colors that represent the ALS foundation, blue and white, cover the shrine.  This is complemented by the tree and flower design that resembles the South Carolina palm tree found on the flag, as well.  The simple design of the shrine is meant to display the elegance and simplicity of my grammy, as well.  She was a lawyer for domestically abused children and helped all her clients with such class and delicacy.  This quality was one of many, but one of her strongest.  This quality also made her into the woman she was, so it is the foundation of design for the shrine.  The use of leaves and a tree branch in the design also represent the idea of life.  In many ways, the shrine is a “living” memorial, as the objects were once alive (the leaves probably still are, considering they were recently picked).  I found it very important to incorporate this idea of life into the shrine, because the life my grammy led was one of humility and compassion.  The shrine represents my beliefs that if I were to live a life she did, or even one that was equal to half her accomplishments, I would be content.
The final component to my shrine are the offerings.  If I were to visit the shrine, I would leave dog bones.  While this may seem odd, animals, and especially dogs, were a very big part of my grammy’s life.  In fact, within the sixteen years of my life that she was alive, she had housed a total of twenty dogs on her plantation, as well as one cat.  Whether they be from the shelter down the street, an unexpected liter in the crate one morning, or just showing up in her front yard with her many other dogs welcoming it to the family.  How open she was to adopting these animals into her family has been my favorite thing about her.  I have always admired her big heart and kindness after watching her family grow bigger every time I came down to visit.  A shrine that did not recognize this impeccable quality of hers would be a shrine done wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment