Sunday, May 14, 2017

Memorial Thoughts-Murray Manley

When I signed up for this class, I had no idea that I would find memorials so interesting. I was completely ignorant to all of the thought that went into producing memorials- into the design, the committees that choose the designs, the location, the inscriptions, what is shown, what emotions the artist is trying to depict, etc.

I really loved getting to learn a little bit more about Lexington history- about Washington and Lee and VMI in particular. I also have enjoyed every single one of my classmates' presentations. I love seeing what people are interested in and learning about unusual monuments and memorials that we might otherwise not be exposed to.

As far as questions- I would like to know the average lifespan of memorials. Although there are some events that are noted in history textbooks and widely remembered as a nation, other, smaller events or people will be long forgotten in a generation or so. The act of removing a memorial or recognizing when it no longer serves its purpose is very intriguing to me. I also wish we could have learned more about roadside shrines- that could be an incredible capstone or area of research to focus on after college for an anthropology or sociology major.

No comments:

Post a Comment