Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Ian McDonald DC Trip

I really enjoyed the trip up to DC. I lived there this past summer, and had visited the memorials then. I felt I was much better prepared to fully appreciate the memorials. I didn't necessarily know more about the event being memorialized, but I knew more about the memorial process.
That being said, knowing more made a number of the memorials less impactful. I used to look at the WWII Memorial as being kind of bland and uninspiring. Yesterday, I had a hard time viewing it without remembering the controversy around its design.
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial had made me feel its power before. This time, I understood where that significance and sacrality was coming from. I was better able to understand why the design made me feel a certain way. My only disappointment was that there were not as many offerings as I would have liked. I think that ritual is fascinating.
I can't figure out how I feel about the Washington, DC WWI Memorial. I guess they have it hidden so as not to distract from the National Mall. It just seemed oddly placed. Its hidden, but also in a place of great significance.
Finally, the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is fascinating. I do wish they had slightly more context behind everything. I looked it up, and everything occurs in sets of 21. This symbolized the 21 gun salute, which is the highest honor a soldier can receive. I think thats interesting, and I wish I knew that when I was watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment