Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Lee Chapel - MP Welch

What struck me the most about Lee Chapel was how influential Robert E. Lee really was to our school. In the past I have always been skeptical about how much he is revered for his Southern roots and how much was truly derivative of his work with the school. The information Mrs. Wilkins shared and the Museum to him below highlighted his importance in establishing what W&L is today.

As a campus tour guide, I was embarrassed that I didn’t know much of these contributions prior to our discussion, but I will make sure to elucidate the figure of Lee as our school’s President better on future tours. Clearly he is know for instilling the Honor System and our tendency to civility, but it was fascinating to hear how he embodied these characteristics himself when he treated each of the students both as adults and as his children. As well, I was impressed with how his development of the majors and minors system improved the school’s employment after graduation rate and then sparked schools like Harvard to adopt it. Lastly, the frequency of the use of the Chapel, even on a daily basis, surprised me. However, since we learned it was never consecrated, it makes more sense that various secular programs are held there.


The decision-making process of the flags being removed still intrigues me. Our guide suggested the decision was made by the school’s former President, Ruscio. However, I wonder more about who was involved. To whom was the initial letter with the three demands addressed? Was the Board influential in the decision? How much so? These questions fascinate me de to the concern for the art of curation and who is really responsible for the messages conveyed at Lee Chapel and the other curated spaces on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment