Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Personal Shrine- Eatons' Ranch- Murray Manley


Shrine to Eatons’ Ranch
My shrine is a memorial to Eatons’ Ranch, a dude ranch located in Wolf, Wyoming about two hours outside of Billings, Montana. Although Eatons’ is still around, it is “lost” from my life because I have not had the opportunity to go back and visit in the past two years. I worked at Eatons’ Ranch for two summers as a kids’ camp counselor and maid, respectively.  
For me, Eatons’ Ranch represents a phase of multi-faceted transition in my life. Moving from Birmingham to Wolf was the first time I left home and was totally on my own. I learned to be independent, to make my own money and budget for expenses, to make decisions for myself, and to learn the consequences of making poor decisions. Eatons’ Ranch represents my exposure to the world beyond the sheltered suburb I grew up in. I met people from all different geographical, financial, racial, and religious backgrounds, and was exposed to new world views. My perception of the world changed as I met new and different people and developed my own opinions of things. Because I did not know anyone working at Eatons’ previously to moving there, I had the opportunity to totally start over and to decide who I wanted to be outside of the context of my hometown. Finally, Eatons’ helped me grow as a musician; I learned to be more confident in myself and to not be afraid of sharing my music with other people.
I wanted to encompass all of these ideas into my shrine as a way to remember my time at Eatons’. My shrine is composed of a coat-hanger with a hanging picture collage attached by ropes and a series of knots. The collage is a combination of images of people, nature scenes, song titles, and places around the ranch that were significant to my development as a person. The pictures are hanging to mimic the form of a wind chime or an outdoor mobile. As such, the pictures twist and turn and catch the wind, representing the influence of nature and the elements at the ranch. I used rope in my design to represent the ropes tying up the horses; however, it also connects each of the pictures and song titles, representing the people who supported me during my time spent in Wolf. The rope is symbolic of the ties we had with each other, of the friendships that we made.

The most important aspect of the shrine are the pictures. Sadly, I did not have enough room to place the image of each of the people I worked with, but the picture of the entire staff dressed in our red softball uniforms includes everyone who worked my second summer. Before working at Eatons’, I had spent most of my life in a very sheltered environment where most of my peers were from similar economic, financial, and religious backgrounds as myself. Each and every person I came in contact with taught me something about myself, about life, and about living and serving other people. After leaving the ranch, I felt liberated. I became more comfortable with who I am. In creating a shrine, I reconnected with those changes and had the opportunity to memorialize my time at the ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment