Monday, May 8, 2017

D.C. Trip - Megan Philips

Our readings, presentations, and discussions in class greatly changed the way I approached and experienced the memorials that we visited. I have visited all of the memorials we visited today, except for the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial, before, but had never really analyzed their mechanisms and effectiveness. What I have learned about the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier made our visits to these sites especially powerful. At the Vietnam wall, I thought that the gifts left at its base were the most powerful components of memorialization. We read about how the practice of gift giving has given the public agency in remembering their loved ones, and this was highlighted by a typed personal stories, a high school trophy, and coins. I came into the memorial looking for this type of ritual and interaction, and I’m glad that we were able to see some of it. My research on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the rituals surrounding it made our visit more meaningful than my first visit. I was better able to connect the guard’s actions with their purpose of protecting and honoring the unidentified soldiers. It was my favorite stop on my last tour of the D.C. memorials and it was my favorite again this time!

I thought that it was interesting how the ceremony for VE day transformed the World War II monument. During my first visit, I had agreed with our discussion in class about how the memorial does not seem to evoke much feeling or meaningful reflection, and while we did not get to walk inside the memorial, the ceremonial set gave it a different sense of purpose. I do still agree that the Korean War memorial has a confusing message. I felt that each separate piece was influential and meaningful, but together they did not portray a clear message. I could see the traces of veteran involvement in planning the memorial in the statues of the soldiers. Their expressions were very realistic and made me feel as though I was in the situation and feeling the same anxiety, fear, distress, etc. Lastly, I most surprised by the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial. The set-up of the space seemed to hide King more than emphasize his presence. I thought it was interesting that his statue, which does not face the entrance and can only be seen by standing by the water, is off center in order to accommodate a view of the Jefferson Memorial across the way. I thought that the quotes were interesting, but they seemed to guide visitors away from the statue of King and the layout of the landscaping did not seem to contribute to commemorating him.

No comments:

Post a Comment