Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Julia Schloss-- My Earliest Memory of Going to a Memorial or Shrine site


My earliest memory of going to a memorial sight was around third grade my class went downtown in New York City to where 9/11 took place.  We did not go to a formal memorial sight but we walked around the area where spontaneous shrines had been created. One of buildings that burned down all that was left standing was steal in the shape of a cross. This was not a manmade shrine, but something that created a symbolic meaning for the grieving people. This was a special and unique moment for myself and for my classmates because growing up in New York a lot of the families and friends I was surrounded by were affected by 9/11. There were many emotional responses involved when visiting the shrine that made it a very unique experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment