Monday, April 24, 2017

Earliest Memorial Memory - Camilla Davis


            As a native Baltimorean, it is no surprise that the first memorial I remember having an experience with was the Washington Monument in Baltimore. I was between the ages of ten and twelve when I first had contact with the memorial on a school field trip. In contrast to the structure of the memorial itself, the most notable memory I have regarding the monument is the way that I interacted with it.
            A requirement of the field trip was to climb all the way up the stairs to the very top of the monument and to look out the small window which framed the view of downtown Baltimore. In my twelve-year-old mind I saw this assignment as a challenge versus my friends to see who could run all the way up the stairs to the top first. As such, my friends and myself set off up the marble stairs in front of our fellow classmates. The stairs felt as though they would never end until we finally made it to the top and beheld the beautiful view.
            With our calves aching we descended the stairs and waited in the vestibule for the rest of our class to make the same journey up and down at a far more reasonable pace. Notably, it is not the fact that this memorial was dedicated to George Washington that I remember. I instead remember the climb and the view but the purpose of the monument itself was far from my focus. It was the interaction with the structure itself that remains in my mind to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment