Monday, April 24, 2017

Earliest Memorial Memory - Megan Philips

My earliest vivid memory of visiting a memorial was during our sixth grade class trip to Washington D.C.  We visited the Arlington National Cemetery on our first day in the city, and our visit was scheduled in the late evening as the sun was setting. The rows of thousands of white tombstones on the grassy hills were certainly breathtaking, but I don’t believe that I fully appreciated the fact that these thousands of tombstones we were walking through honored those who have fallen in combat from all or almost all of the wars throughout our nation’s history. Looking back, I don’t think that we looked at any one tombstone individually, but took in the field as one, sweeping unit. I remember the uniformity of the site and the great care that must be given to upkeep the large memorial. I wish I had spent some time looking at individual engravings and looking at the many gifts and flowers that lay in front of many of the tombs more closely.

            During our visit to the Arlington National we were able to watch the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns – my favorite part. The whole ceremony was completely silent except for the sounds of the guards’ footsteps and gun movements. Our class of 100 middle school girls, for one of the only times I can remember, was completely silent, focused on the routine of respect that was playing out in front of us. It’s amazing to think that many groups like ours and many different than ours have paid the same respect and attention to the mesmerizing tradition at the monumental tomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment