Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Thoughts about memorials-Kasey Cannon

This class has been very fascinating thus far. I have never realized the true meanings behind memorials. This class has made me realize that memorials are more than just expensive structures dedicated to someone or something.

I have really enjoyed learning about all types of memorials--ranging from the large, powerful structures in Washington D.C. to the spontaneous roadside shrines. Through studying all different types, I have realized that no matter how big, small, expensive, or inexpensive a memorial may be, it was made very purposefully and thoughtfully. All memorials require a great amount of time and effort and elicit all sorts of feelings. I have found it especially interesting how memorials elicit feelings of grief, regret, anger, etc just through the artists' use of color and other visual imagery.

Writing my paper on the 9/11 memorial has forced me to think much more about memorials. Especially because September 11 only happened twelve years ago, I am truly able to understand the significance of the tragic event, along as the controversies about building the memorial. By doing intense research about one specific memorial, I have learned so much about the process of building a memorial and the meaning it has to all viewers and the nation as a whole.

I am looking forward to learning more about Buddhist memorials and shrines. It was fascinating today actually being able to see a stupa. Hearing the man talk about all the symbolism behind the stupa and the process of creating the structure was very intriguing. Hearing these stories first hand was much more powerful and real than just reading about them on paper. I also find it fascinating that a stupa was built in the tiny town of Lexington.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful. Yes, memorials are powerful monuments! I agree; it's amazing that there is a TIbetan Buddhist stupa/memorial in the middle of Lexington. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete