Sunday, May 5, 2013

Non-Historical Marker by Erica Schiller

   There is a plaque by Stonewall Jackson's house that has always struck me when I've passed by the area.  It's small and plain, but if you stop long enough to get a good look at it you'll see that it's not a real monument at all. 


   This is a "non-historical marker".  I first discovered it when I visited Washington and Lee over Johnson weekend last year.  A couple friends and I had just visited Jackson's home when we left, rounded the corner, and noticed this.  My friend April was the first to notice it; she laughed suddenly, then pointed it out to us when we asked.  I thought it was hilarious.  We snapped a few pictures in front of it, went back to campus, and I didn't think about it much again, unless passing right by it.  It was only during this class that I started to really think about the significance of it.  The culture of memorials around Lexington is so strong, and memorials themselves are so common, that I could have easily walked past this without noticing it, thinking it yet another memorial.  It's funny that we have such a memorialized area that this is possible, and that many people probably don't know about this plaque at all. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes. This memorial to nothing works well in a city littered with memorials to important events and historical figures. Indeed, this is a cheeky little reminder of the commonplace!

    ReplyDelete