Monday, May 6, 2013

Memorial in Lexington-Kasey Cannon


Today, I visited the Rockbridge County Veterans Memorial. It is located on Main Street to the right of the business building. I have walked by this memorial many many times, yet I have never previously stopped to read or find out what its purpose was. 


This memorial was dedicated in 2000 to all the veterans from Rockbridge County. There are many plaques on the rocks surrounding the memorial showing support for all the wars in which the veterans fought in.





There are plaques commemorating those who passed away in Afghanistan, Operation Desert Storm, Korea, World War I, World War II, Vietnam, and the Civil War.





















The memorial has two entry ways. This makes the memorial very welcoming. As shown in the pictures above, the rock formations can serve as benches, also making the memorial practical.

While walking through campus and Lexington, I was overwhelmed by the amount of memorials I saw.  However, I was even more taken back by the fact that I had never noticed any of them previously. There are so many plaques, benches, etc scattered throughout such a small area. Since being in the class, I now take notice of nearly every memorial I pass.

1 comment:

  1. I've walked by this as well without stopping to see what, in fact, was being memorialized. Your discussion of the entry ways was the beginning of an important analysis of the space (you could also consider the manner in which the space is slightly recessed). Good find!
    MRK

    ReplyDelete