Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Monument to a Devoted Pet Paul Reilly

The Process: Due to the fact that I don't have any pictures of my pets at school, I decided to improvise and add a nonfictional element from my childhood to the shrine. The subject that I feel best represents my cat at home symbolically is Pikachu from the kids tv show Pokemon. I based the monument off of several monuments we found in class. I felt the elevation change found at the Vietnam Memorial and the Stupa had a powerful effect. Descending into the Earth generated a somber and peaceful atmosphere. In order to capitalize on this effect I made Pikachu the central focus of the visitor through constructing a staircase that directly descends in front of the statue. The only visiable object from above the memorial is the pokeball which adds an interesting twist. Pokeballs are possessive objects which house the pokemon.  Even in death, Pikachu remains in the ever present captivity of his owner and memorial creator.
 
For myself personally fire is a powerful element and like the flame basins located in front of the Lincoln Memorial. In my picture the flames are eternally lit lighting up Pikachu by night. The flickering of the candles casts shadows of Pikachu at play. Like in life, Pikachu remains active even in death through his statue. On the Right side of the wall is an inscription written by his owner. Behind the pokeball is the remains of the dead pet. In order to create a floating effect of the pokeball and allow the remains to be seen I used a glass that is see through in order for it to be visible behind Pikachu and add an overhanging effect that those who wish to  touch the grave have to go underneath the power symbol represented by the pokeball. 
 The two cards used to focus in those who enter the underground area depict two aces, 1 can be viewed on each card. On each the cards is a heart and spades. The ace of hearts represents love and the ace of spades is a symbol of power. This power symbol of dominance appears on the wall and the pokeball. The intent of the power symbol at a shrine venerating a pokemon puts forward an agenda that hints a subjecting not only Pikachu but all pokemon. This idea I found interesting in the Shaw Memorial. On the outside of the memorial I placed dirt and grass. The memorial in my mind would be placed in a park where people (trainers) could take their pets (pokemon) to play and see the memorial even if they wouldn't actually visit.

Ritual: The corn left behind by visitors to the memorial symbolize the feeding of the pet. Nourishing the pokemons spirit and a gesture of kindness. These gifts are impermanent but allow the visitor to add to his connection with the Pikachu.

I was very pleased with the final effect. Unfortunatly I doubt I'd be allowed to light the candles in class but I enjoyed creating the memorial. Even with the nonfiction aspect to the shrine it resonated for me since I had 3 cats growing up around the same time I watched Pokemon on tv and played with my own pets. I tried to take into account the visual, ritualistic, and memorial aspects in creating my shrine.

Paul Reilly

No comments:

Post a Comment