Thursday, April 25, 2013

Julia Arena


Freemason tomb

            I have always had a large fear of graveyards and never felt comfortable even driving by them on the side of the road. However, I was surprised at my willingness to visit Stonewall Jackson Cemetery and how much I actually enjoyed our visit. I do not think I have ever invested such great amounts of time studying graves in the amount of detail I did while on this excursion. Many of the tombstones had specific markings or indications of who the person was or why they were important. For instance, there was a family with the last name Copper who chose to use flat, copper tombstones throughout several generations. Another tombstone I saw told both where the person was from and boasted a Freemason symbol. This tomb was my favorite because the fascination and myths surrounding the Freemasons create a much deeper background story. Although there is not much else to be known about this deceased person from their tombstone, I found myself trying to envision who they were, what they did, and how the association with the Freemasons played a role in their lives. The small symbols and markings lead to a deeper narrative, giving audiences the opportunity to try and recreate this person’s memory.

Marker meant to symbolize ties to the Confederacy

Tomb showing symbols and description of the person
Stonewall Jackson's Memorial
               In the center of the graveyard, Stonewall Jackson’s memorial is surrounded by a black fence and stands taller than any other of the graves. The most interesting aspect of his grave were the lemons that visitors would bring and toss in front of the structure. The lemons exemplify the level of respect and reverence visitors feel must be paid to this figure. I found it truly incredible that after all these years, people still actively visit this site to pay their respects.
Family Plot
            The final detail I took note of were the plots of land families set aside so that they could be joined together in the end. Many of these family plots contain several generations, showing the importance placed on familial ties. Many of these generations may have not crossed paths but they still felt it necessary to be united in death with their own blood. This concept seemed foreign to me, especially since most of my immediate family has made the decision to be cremated. 

1 comment:

  1. All great insights. You reminded me that as children, my sister and i would hold our breaths while driving past graveyards. They are powerful places.

    ReplyDelete