Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Julia Arena



            My brother and I were raised with strong ties to Mexico because of our Mexican citizenship and father who was raised in the Federal District. Therefore, many of my early childhood memories of travel and sightseeing are from family vacations to Mexico. My earliest memory of visiting a memorial is when I went to the Mexican revolutionary figure Pancho Villa’s home in Chihuahua, Mexico. The home served as museum meant to honor and revere the risks this man took for his country.  I mostly remember the hidden escape tunnels and being amazed at how Villa put his life in such danger that he had to be able to quickly escape his own home at any given time. In addition, the stories I heard at the museum about him acting as a Mexican Peter Pan by stealing land from the wealthy to give to the poor resonated in my mind. This led to an extreme fascination and slight obsession I had with Villa for a couple of years.
The front of his home (Museo de la Revolucion) 
http://www.mexicoenfotos.com/estados/chihuahua/chihuahua/MX12182336378398
                                     
Pancho Villa
http://www.biography.com/people/pancho-villa-9518733

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos and am so interested that your initial experience of memorials is located in Mexico. There are also very strong relationships among house/museum/memorial that can be further examined. great stuff.

    ReplyDelete